Pages

Monday, July 3, 2017

Monday July 3

Now this looks like summer.   There's a number of firsts this week - first okra, first eggplant, first peppers, and first beans.  That's definitely summer fare.  Earlier in the week I harvested another Golden Acre cabbage, weighing 2 pounds (not shown).  There's actually one more cabbage and one more broccoli still growing, but both of them are diminutive.

Saturday I picked a large, actually oversize at 1 1/2 pounds, zucchini, and the first pepper, a Jimmy Nardello.  The first sweet peppers are usually not all that flavorful, but this one was fantastic, sweet and tangy.  I had to force myself to stop eating it while I cut it up for frying with some of the zucchini. 

Yesterday:  A Lavendar Touch eggplant, Provider snap beans, another Jimmy Nardello, 2 Jalapenos, and Millionaire okra.

Also, 4 pounds of Vertina pickling cucumbers.

There's several more on the vine that should size up by the end of the day, and give me at least 5 pounds total.  That will be enough to can a batch of 7 pints.  Once a few batches are canned I'll turn to fermenting.

To see what other gardeners are harvesting, head on over to Our Happy Acres.

7 comments:

Eight Gate Farm NH said...

Nice to see your summer veggies making an appearance. The eggplant looks lovely. It seems like you're a man that likes a good pickle!

Dave @ HappyAcres said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave @ HappyAcres said...

Second times a charm... Wow on those ripe Jimmy Nardello peppers! I'm still waiting on green ones here. My eggplants are starting to bloom, but yours are obviously way ahead of mine.

Phuong said...

Wow, ripe peppers already and your eggplant looks great. We've been doing lots of stir fries as well, and I told my husband we need to start eating vegetables with every meal.

Mary Hysong said...

Those are some nice looking cukes! Mine are taking their own sweet time. Of course the fact that I had to replant several times because of the squirrels and pack rats didn't help any. They are finally beginning to bloom, however, so should have some soon. Lucky you to have peppers. Had terrible germination with them this year. Only got a few plants and mostly jalapeno. Maybe next year I can get some nice sweets going.

Kathy said...

Oh, to be able to grow okra! And if we have four jars of pickled cucumbers we think we have done well... just shows how different harvests are in different climates!!

Margaret said...

Wonderful harvests - as others have stated, you are WAY ahead of me. The few peppers I have are all still green and growing. And my cukes? The vines aren't even a foot tall yet - 2017 is turning out to be a rough year.

Post a Comment